Sunday, June 14, 2015

The Marsh Theater-San Francisco

I always did something I was not quiet ready to do. I think that’s how you grow. When there’s that moment of ‘Wow, I’m not really sure I can do this,’ and you push through those moments, that’s when you have a breakthrough. The thing always happens that you really believe in; and the belief makes it happen. Hard work and dedication helps. If you don't try, you'll never fail. If you try, you just may succeed.


That is how I felt when I turned amateur photographer many years ago and became a professional photographer 1965. I had studied with Internationally famed photographer Lizette Model at the New York School for Social Research in New York who convinced me I had an eye for taking fine photos. She put me in touch with the creative side of myself that I was not aware of. Writing and acting would come many years later.


My first director, Lyn April Statten, who was a Broadway actress and TV star in the early fifties taught me the basics of acting.  I had performed over 70 shows but when I was considered to perform at The Marsh in San Francisco at their Monday Night Show, that was a big breakthrough for me. I was one of five actors to perform that evening, each actor had twenty minutes to perform their act.



Robin Williams
Many actors have performed at the Marsh including Robin Williams. 

The Marsh theater company specializes in developing new performance, specifally one person shows.


It once was located in a small theater in North Beach and during the 1960's; Lenny Bruce and Sarah Vaughan performed there.



I performed twice at The Marsh and was the first actor to perform a solo baseball show. It is expected the performer will bring his or her audience to the theater. The actor is responsible for promoting their show.

Performing at the Marsh was a learning experience for me as I failed to attract an audience that wanted to watch a baseball show. Fortunately, many of my friends from Half Moon Bay attended.


I attemped a multi media show, photos, video and music that did not work as well as I thought it would. It was difficult and expensive to produce so all future shows had music only. Performing is a learning experience and I am still learning what works and doesn't for me.



                    










No comments:

Post a Comment